Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Walking and Talking

I have a very strong opinion about pedestrians or bicyclists on cell phones. It's about as strong as my opinion on people on cell phones in cars.

It's just not safe, people. It takes away from your ability to pay attention to your surroundings, and sometimes the ability to make intelligent choices.

For example, I don't know how many times I've seen people walking and talking, totally cross the street without looking both ways. Sometimes they almost get hit. I was a pedestrian for two years in LA, and I almost got hit. It's why I don't walk around the city on my cell.

It also takes away your ability to hear out of one ear. Combine that with loud sirens or traffic noise blasting into the other and you won't even hear that person call "Hey watch out!".

I've seen people on cell phones while driving, that seems to not get through people's heads, but bicycling around the city? Really? I mean, maybe I'm just a rookie cyclist, but it requires both hands and my attention. I don't think I could ever text and cycle at the same time.

We all have this intent to stay safe. What steps are we taking towards actually being safe? What is so important that one must be on the phone ALL the time.

Don't even get me started on cell phone brain cancer...lol

No comments:

Post a Comment