Monday, April 12, 2010

The hoop collective conscience

Lately I've been feeling kind of down, due to the ups and downs of this season in California. Am I spoiled or what? Haha!

Hooping, or hoop dance has been an integral part of my life for the past 4 years. I fell in love with it, and am always trying new things. Sometimes hooping with other hoopers and learning new things, but mostly on my own.

At one point I was watching YouTube videos every day, learning, amongst being a pretty decent hooper, I am also a great mimic. I learned new things very quickly, and sequencing them together in my own style. Sometimes I drill, other times I just put on music and let whatever creativity flows out of me, extend to the hoop.

I've been practicing a new way of hooping lately, because I find that waist hooping, or even on the body hooping has been pretty hard on my spine and back. mostly because I only hooped in one direction for almost two years, until someone enlightened me to become proficient in all directions of a move before moving on. I don't have a name for what I have been flowing like lately, or at least I didn't, until I ran across Caroleeena's channel on Youtube and found this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PxbtkqhVQH8

She calls it "Off body Punctuation Beats", or something like that. I like it.

It always amazes me, that when I am in my hoop practice, I am generally in my zone, trying new things with the hoop, knowing the physics of the hoop and playfully applying them. I don't even think about what other hoopers might be doing, although I do watch other hoopers for style and trick inspiration.

I used to be at every hoop jam. I used to go to every party and hoop all night. Because of health reasons, I play at home or close to home for the most part now. So, I'm feeling really blessed to be part of this collective conscience that channels through me, and pulls off some swift moves.

When I know I'm being taped, I'm usually pretty shy, or hold back...same thing on stage. It's those moments when I'm in pure, utter hoop bliss, dancing like nobody is watching, that I am the most open and the most receptive. That's when the magic happens.

I've seen a couple videos made unaware to me, and I'm always surprised at how I look. I don't make too many videos, or have my own camera person following me around at events....and when I do see those random videos of me, I think...hmmmm...maybe I should. Those unaware moments, free of fear of being watched or anything, those are the most inspirational ones to me...because, WOW. That's me. And...I'm Good! I had no idea.

No comments:

Post a Comment